Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Commonly misused/misspelled words and phrases (Part 52)

Some more misused words:

Almost

Wrong: I almost like vanilla as much as I like chocolate.
Right: I like vanilla almost as much as I like chocolate.

So you “almost like vanilla?” Almost is similar to only in the sense that the meaning of the entire sentence can change depending upon where in the sentence you use it. For best results, put almost (and only) as close as possible to the object youre modifying.

Suprise vs. surprize vs. surprise

Wrong: Well, that was a suprise!
Wrong: Well, that was a surprize!
Right: Well, that was a surprise!

I’m surprised at how often I see this simple word misspelled. Any decent spell-checker should flag (or correct) it, but keep your eyes open for any occurrences that get missed in emails or in handwritten communications.

I have plenty of these words to go. Check back soon.

Mark.

No comments: