Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Commonly misused/misspelled words and phrases (Part 80)

It's been a few weeks since my last post on this subject. My apologies. I've been insanely busy both in my writing life and my nonwriting life the past couple of months. I think I've finally caught up. I'll try to be more dutiful in the future.

Without further ado, here is the next set of words:


Addition vs. Edition

Wrong: The fifth addition of his book just came out.

Right: The fifth edition of his book just came out.


Given how common both words are, I’m surprised at how often I see addition confused with edition. An addition is something that is added, while an edition is a form in which text is printed. A special holiday section of a newspaper might be said to be an addition to the edition.


Melt(ed/ing) vs. meld(ed/ing)

Wrong: I’m looking forward to the melting of our cultures.

Right: I’m looking forward to the melding of our cultures.


To melt is to soften (as butter), dissolve (sugar), or lose shape or distinctiveness, often because of heat. To meld, on the other hand is to blend or merge. The melding of two families through marriage is enough to melt one’s heart.


More soon. I promise!


Mark.

No comments: