Sunday, May 18, 2008

Commonly misused/misspelled words and phrases (Part 32)

More oft-messed-up words with tips for how to use them correctly:

Do to vs. due to

Wrong: We failed do to your incompetence!
Right: We failed due to your incompetence!

Due to means “because of.” Do to is simply a spelling confusion due to the similarity in pronunciation of the words.

You and me vs. you and I

Wrong: You and me have to go get Dan.
Right: You and I have to go get Dan.
Wrong: Do you want to go to the store with Dan and I?
Right: Do you want to go to the store with Dan and me?

Confusing? It’s actually quite simple to figure out when to say you and I versus you and me. The rule I learned is to leave out the other party and see how it sounds. In the first example, above, you wouldn’t say “Me have to go get Dan.” You’d say, “I have to go get Dan.” Similarly, you’d say “(You and) I have to go get Dan.” In the second example, you wouldn’t say, “Do you want to go to the store with I?” You’d say, “Do you want to go to the store with me?” So, you’d say “Do you want to go to the store with (Dan and) me?” (And, of course, we all know never to say “Me and you…,” unless we’re writing dialog for someone who speaks in an uneducated manner—right?)

There's gold in them thar hills. Keep coming back for more nuggets.

Mark.

No comments: